79th Annual MTR Western Sports Star of the Year
The Seattle Sports Commission presents an iconic Washington tradition, the 79th Annual MTR Western Sports Star of the Year Awards.
Created by Royal Brougham and the Seattle Post-Intelligencer in 1936, this event has celebrated the achievements of local athletes, coaches and others in the sports industry for the past 79 years.
The Seattle Sports Commission took ownership of the event in 2009. Each of the past two years, more than 1,200 athletes, coaches and fans gather at the prestigious Benaroya Hall for the biggest night out in Washington sports.
The new format features a pre-show reception where attendees mingle with special guests, and have the opportunity to bid on silent auction items. In the past years, VIP’s have included Gary Payton, Kenny Mayne, Steve Largent, Hope Solo, Governor Gregoire, Keith Jackson, Apolo Ohno, Kasey Keller, Lenny Wilkens, Jake Locker, Red Bryant, Kerri Strug, Bob Houbregs, Marcus Trufant and Jay Buhner. The reception is followed by an award show that showcases the phenomenal athletes, coaches, executives, philanthropists, and stories of the past and present.
Join us for an exciting evening of sports, entertainment and celebration at the MTR Western Sports Star of the Year!
CLICK HERE to attend Sports Star of the Year!
Nominees for the Female Sports Star of the Year:
- Joan Bonvicini (Seattle University Women’s Basketball Head Coach)
- Krista Vansant (UW Volleyball)
- Marti Malloy (USA Judo)
- Melissa Arnot (Record holding Mountaineer)
- Micaela Castain (WSU Soccer)
- Tina Thompson (Storm Basketball)
Nominees for the Male Sports Star of the Year:
- Bishop Sankey (UW Football)
- DeAndre Yedlin (Sounders FC)
- Hisashi Iwakuma (Mariners Pitcher)
- Jon Lester (Red Sox Pitcher)
- Russell Wilson (Seahawks Quarterback)
- UW Men’s Soccer
Nominees for the Sports Story of the Year:
- Eastlake Little League
- Husky Stadium
- UW Volleyball
- UW Crew
- The Seahawks' Run
- Seattle University Men’s & Women’s Soccer